Thread: Most delighting moment when watching the MS concert DVD?

1. Default Most delighting moment when watching the MS concert DVD?

I just sneaked into the DVD I received yesterday, watching the first song of the concert as well as all the extra stuff (I'm saving the rest for this evening to enjoy in full glory). The quality of the video is very good (except the places where the DVD editor played with digital zoom and AE effects *cough* especially in the studio recording video where this is very excessive, did the editor try to apply "progressive rock" to the picture quality? *cough*).

Anyway why I wanted to write this: I already mentioned Yoshiharu Gotanda in another post of mine (did I already say I adore him? =P), and it was a great delight for me to see him taking part in the interview clip. And geeze, he looks young. (According to the sparse information I found about him so far he was aged ~18 when he programmed Hiouden for SFC in 1993/94...) He kind of looks like a running joke in the interview, appearing like a young overly happy fanboy, enjoying the presence of his (older) stars. ;) (Nb: Yoshiharu Gotanda is credited as executive producer of the DVD. =P) And Motoi Sakuraba looks shy, someone needs to cut his hair in front of his eyes so he can see something again. ;)

Ah, I'm ranting, sorry... =P

Picking a favorite moment in the concert is hard work. But I do have to give a hearty thumbs-up to the solo sections in the middle. They were fun to listen to on the album, but watching Nakamura and Hasegawa do their stuff was a blast! And if you've been to the STC boards, you already know how I feel about Highbrow.

Regarding the extras, I like the performance of "Beyond the One". Too bad it didn't make it onto the CD release, but there HAD to be incentive to buy the DVD, right? (As if there wasn't already...) Which makes me wonder...was it just for this occasion, or does the song have a place in a future project?

And as for the interview, I've commented elsewhere that I missed out a lot, as I don't know the language. Hopefully, as Eriol noted, it might be possible to land an English-language transcript later.

Finally, just an observation. Perhaps it's a cultural difference, but are Japanese concert-goers always this restrained? I don't know, but if this concert was performed elsewhere in the world, I can't see those solos and other concert highlights merely earning polite applause. I think people would be up and dancing around!

Quote Originally Posted by squaretex
    And as for the interview, I've commented elsewhere that I missed out a lot, as I don't know the language. Hopefully, as Eriol noted, it might be possible to land an English-language transcript later.
    I doubt Scitron would spend money to translate the interview officially. The more likely outcome is some Japanese-fluent fan or Kahori doing a quick and dirty translation.

Quote Originally Posted by squaretex
    Finally, just an observation. Perhaps it's a cultural difference, but are Japanese concert-goers always this restrained? I don't know, but if this concert was performed elsewhere in the world, I can't see those solos and other concert highlights merely earning polite applause. I think people would be up and dancing around!
    Notice there were seats in the concert hall? This isn't your typical U.S. rock concert where everybody stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol
    Notice there were seats in the concert hall? This isn't your typical U.S. rock concert where everybody stands.
    Ahh...of course it'd have to be an obvious answer...

Still, I would think the caliber of the performances would be enough to drive people out of their seats. Or cheer even louder. Or SOMETHING!!!

I doubt Scitron would spend money to translate the interview officially. The more likely outcome is some Japanese-fluent fan or Kahori doing a quick and dirty translation.
    What does Scitron have to do with it? Do they publish Team Entertainment's releases?

I've been to many a US rock concert held in a theater. That said, I prefer the restraint displayed by this audience - I've also been to many a rock concert where my experience was marred by the behavior of rude and often intoxicated audients.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeg
    I've been to many a US rock concert held in a theater. That said, I prefer the restraint displayed by this audience - I've also been to many a rock concert where my experience was marred by the behavior of rude and often intoxicated audients.
    And I can understand and appreciate that. But in this case, it seems to be TOO much restraint.

So there's Nakamura bashing about on his drums, going into the all-familiar stick spin. And what is he greeted with? Silence. No cheering on of any type. When he concludes with that gong bash, there's the applause and a few hollers...that's it.

And Hasegawa...he kicks in the distortion on his bass, letting it wail for a while. He then goes into a groove, which Nakamura joins in on. At the least one might expect the audience to clap along with the beat or something, because it was pretty catchy. But again...nothing.

That's what prompted my initial question about cultural differences. These moments just seem...well...EMPTY without the feel of audience support. But if this is typical for a concert in Japan, than I'd like to know. You can learn something new everyday...

7. Default

I think the impression one can get from the DVD is misleading. Most cheering and applause are instantly faded out as soon as a song is finished, and I woundn't wonder if they didn't have any microphone installed for recording the applause anyway. This is completely different from typical Western rock concert recordings where the applause and the audience/artists "communication" gets half of the whole playtime. =P

8. Default

That is right. I think that it's a topyic western music.
    hair accessories
    say a word

Thread Information